Monday, November 3, 2008

Halloween 2008!

I love the Fall season... and I absolutely love the Halloween holiday! No, I don't celebrate EVIL... as you may wonder from our choice of costume this year, but I do enjoy the fun traditions and costumes. And if you know me well, you know that I love anything spooky! The kids really enjoyed pumpkin carving this year. We were sad that Bill missed this - the first of four consecutive holidays he'll be missing - but we made if fun, and enjoyed our time with Grandma still in town. Ivan and Grant each drew their "scary" faces. Ivan carved his own pumpkin, and did it really well! I carved Grant's face out, and my mom helped Mary create her "puppy pumpkin" from a kit we found at Wal-Mart. She was pretty proud of it too!
I love the fun, eerie parts of Halloween... the soft glow of jack-o-lanterns, the creativity of it all... so much fun. We even made jack-o-lantern pizzas for dinner! The boys each made their own, and mom and I made the rest.
My mom flew back with us from California - it was a nice transition to have her come back for a few days before heading home to Minnesota. Thanks, Mom!
Let the trick-or-treating begin! Ivan and Grant were Transformers this year - Optimus Prime and Bumblebee. Mary was a cute, little witch... and as you'll see below, my mom and I decided to dress up as well. : )
Mary's scary face! She'll open her eyes wide, show her teeth, and hold it forever... while shaking! The boys just laugh and laugh and say, "Do your scary face again, Mary!"
"Are you a good witch or a bad witch?"... "Why, I'm not a witch at all!" - Judy Garland, in The Wizard of Oz.

Here we are - three generations of "good witches!"
The littlest witch - taking off on her broom, er, big-wheel! I love her little curls falling beneath the brim of her hat.
And off we go! Ivan and Grant loved to show Mary the "ropes" of going from house to house. Mary made it all the way down our street, and then we popped her into the stroller. We walked until our legs hurt and couldn't go any further - we all had so much fun! My mom and I had a riot, dressed as these witches... it took a while for my neighbors to even recognize me. The kids thought it was great. It was actually Grant's idea... We were originally going to be MN Vikings, but both Ivan and Grant said it was too silly for girls to dress like football players. Grant said, "You should be witches. Girls can be that... but nice ones, not painted faces or anything." So... that's what we did.
Sorting the candy and trading with my brother or friends was always a favorite part of my experience. We came back and everyone dumped their buckets to see what treasures they'd collected. And every day, I now find Mary pointing up to her bucket on the refrigerator and saying, "Mine Punky! Mine Punky!!!" She would probably sit and eat the whole thing if I'd let her. She's got a sweet tooth, just like Mommy. One thing I did do... was let the boys trade in their candy to me - at five cents a piece. They liked that idea.
Happy Halloween!

5 comments:

Jane Anne said...

Oh, Kathy, it looks like you had SO much fun! I love the kid excitement of Halloween, too. We had pumpkin pizzas... but they were not as cute...they were from Papa Murphy's. I love the 3 Witches photo! That is priceless.

beukelman blog said...

so glad you're still alive - was wondering with the absence from the blog. =) love the halloween pics. so cute!

Chris said...

Hi, so I've been stocking your blog for a few weeks now, Bill and I were friends back in high school we lost contact 7 years back or so. A mutual friend of ours told me about your blog. I'm glad Bill is doing good. I'll never forget the day at school they announced he won the scholarship for the academy he was so pumped up we were at a pep rally or something and he had to go up in front of everyone to accept it was cool,,I'll spare you of more of my memories. anyways tell Bill I said hi. my name is Chris Porter my email is cporter76@msn.com you can pass it along to Bill maybe he'll be bored one day and write.
Thanks

Megan said...

That looks like so much fun. You three witches do look great. So do you end up eating the candy then or saving it for treats when the kids are really great? Just curious about that.

katieowens said...

You guys look like you had a blast! I can't believe how big Mary is getting. So glad you have your Mom around to help. We miss you guys!