What a day we had, welcoming Bill back into the United States and into our lives again. He just spent 4 and a half months at
Balad Air Base, near Baghdad, Iraq. Deployments are not fun, but the Homecomings are so exciting!
Our day began with the kids jumping into bed with me, ready to see their Daddy! Mary kept saying, "Daddy coming! Airplane? Base!!!" Grant said, "I just can't wait to see my Dad. I want to run up and wrestle with him!" Ivan said, "I think I'm just gonna go crazy when I see him. It makes me want to cry!" He's pretty verbal with his emotions and got easily choked up just seeing a photo of Bill over the last 4 months.
We made it to the base (after being on a crazed hunt for Mommy's keys) just in time for the plane to land. A few families, officers and enlisted from our squadron, all came out to welcome him home. It was so exciting to see that plane hit the ground!!!



As the plane taxied in, I could not even speak. I was flooded with emotion. And as soon as Bill's commander said we could go out to meet him, the kids took off... Ivan first, Grant second and little Mary not far behind her big brothers! These are the sights that make it worth it... and make the military mom's heart soar. He is home... and the deployment is over.


Ivan, in true form, said, "Man, I think I'm going to cry!" ... he already had tears streaming down his face. Bill was crying too... Grant and Mary were all smiles!

Here's our family - back together again. We did it, but not without a lot of prayers, help and support from our family and friends. Thank you so much. You will never know how much that helped us all get through... the calls, emails, cards, prayers, warm wishes, gift cards, packages to the kids and to Bill... thank you.





And a big THANK YOU to the 45
th Airlift Squadron at
Keesler AFB. We love you and appreciate you so much - you are our family "away from home." And to the spouses... I just can't say enough... you are the best.

Let's go home!

This sign was supposed to be hanging on our garage to welcome him back, but it was such a windy day! So, we opted to hang it in the playroom.

The terrorists couldn't take him down, but within a matter of minutes... these three had him on his knees! "Wrestle Daddy!!!"

And... time to celebrate! We had a little party at home, just us. I made him a "cookie cake" (his favorite treat) and the kids each gave him a hand-made card. It was just nice to be home together.


Bill had a few surprises of his own! A pretty back-pack bag for Mary, and two wooden frog-boxes for the boys. Mommy's gift (a requested purchase) is coming soon... a rug for our front entryway!

And one last "thank you" to the
Canlases for the wonderful "Welcome Home" gift basket. We will enjoy this for many nights to come. We are so thankful for both of you and feel so blessed that you are leading our squadron.

Hooray for the U.S.A! And a big "Thank you" to all who serve!

And we won't forget the date Bill came home from his deployment, as our nation was also celebrating the inauguration of the 44
th president, Barack Obama. May God bless him as he leads our nation for the next four years, and continues to lead our troops in the Global War on Terror.
16 comments:
Wow, that's so great to hear AND see! Congratulations to all of you - and my deepest deepest thanks to Bill and to you Kathy and your whole family for making the sacrifices to serve our country. It is very, very much appreciated.
I love it! I'm so glad you are all back together.
Thank you for the sacrifices you made for all of us.
I love your pictures they made me cry - what a sweet homecoming!
Thank God. Thank God Bill is home safely. It is so good to see the Fields family back together!
I wasn't past the first picture and I had tears streaming down my face. Bill, we are so happy that you are home safely. Kathy, great pictures of the day. Thanks for sharing them!
I am holding back the tears, and I have never met Bill. But there is nothing more exciting than a long awaited reunion!
Thank you so much for your family's sacrifices.
Leigha :)
Oh, Kathy, I feel like Ivan, "I think I am going to cry" and I am full of tears. So many beautiful pictures!! They all touched me. Through my emotion, the wrestling one made me laugh- that is exactly what my boys did when Seth came home!!! What a wonderful moment that is... just sitting back and loving the noise.
I am so thrilled for you!!!!
My brother-in-law is over there and comes home in February. He is in the AF, as well.
Good thing I brought the kleenexes! So beauiful Kathy. So happy for you all and yes I agree that we all owe your family a debt of gratitude.
I was so excited to see this today. I have tears streaming down my face. I love the pictures of the kids running for Bill. It's quite humbling. I've been praying that he makes it home safely. Welcome Home, Bill!
So happy for you all!! Great pictures!! and I'm so glad he came home safely and in good health. Kudos to you Kathy for keeping a wonderful home for Bill to come home too. What a wonderful time for you and your family (sniff sniff). So beautiful to see those smiles!!!! Thank you for your family's service to keep America---beautiful!
I don't know how I missed this post two days ago! Perhaps I needed to read it now, when I'm alone and the kids are in bed so they can't see me crying!
I'm so happy and excited for you guys. Yet reading it makes me dread the idea of a deployment for us in the next year. And Mary's outfit is exactly what Mckenna wore when Brad returned from his 4 month deployment. I can still remember her running out to him and wrapping herself around her leg and not letting go.
While the deployments suck it is true that when you look back on life some of the most special and exciting days you'll probably remember are the return from deployment days. Welcome home, Bill. Enjoy your family time.
We are so happy for you! With great sacrifice comes great reward. God bless you all for your sacrifice. So happy to see you all together again. Looking forward to seeing you up in MN.
so glad you guys are back together again! thank you so much for your family's sacrifices to protect our country! love you guys!
Yeah! So exciting! The pictures brought me to tears. I know it was a long deployment for all of you. So glad you're back together!
Hi Kathy,
I've been reading your blog for some time. I'm so happy for you all that Bill is home safely. How wonderful to see your family back together again. You brought tears to my eyes. Thank you Bill and family for the sacrifice made!! Kathy, it is so fun to read about your sweet family and see all your darling pictures. Sorry I have never commented until now.
Blessings,
Heather Tanem
Bill looks so happy! Glad he made it home safe :)
mkq
Kathy,
Now that I can see through my tears...I'm so glad you guys are back together again! Bill's homecoming looks just like I imagined it-the kids are so sweet running to their daddy-now I'm crying all over again! You are my inspiration and Bill is a hero! We appreciate you guys and the amazing way you are serving our country! Love you my friend!!!
Jana
Post a Comment