We had a great two weeks at the "Y." The boys are certainly at different levels in their swimming abilities. Grant had an incident with the "bad teacher" last year, so this year was dedicated to getting over his fear of the water (really, his issue with trusting the teacher). Ivan has turned a new leaf and is now a swimmer! By the end of the two weeks, he could do a front crawl/doggy paddle ensemble 3/4 across the deep end with no help. This has led to an enormous amount of self-confidence in our young man... which his teacher was quick to grasp. He made sure to let Ivan know that even though he can swim, he still needs lots of practice!

Each lesson began as a struggle for Grant. He would stay firmly in his spot on the step, until one, two or three teachers could coax him away...

This was the game to get him away from the edge. Look - not touching the wall! I told the teachers that for this lesson alone, to PLEASE not make him go under the water. I just wanted to focus on his trust issue, and get him to enjoy the water again.

We had some tears... a little bystander showed some concern for her big brother.

Here is Ivan, demonstrating his back float.

I remember learning these same skills - using the
kick boards! How fun. I always loved swimming, but not swimming lessons. By the second grade, I was blind as a bat. I remember always walking out of the locker room, and scanning the pool for my teacher. Most often, she'd have to come over and get me, because I couldn't see her. Pitiful, I know.

Here he is, swimming with no "
floaties." The teacher was good about keeping something handy, just in case. Ivan did great, and sure had a big smile when he got to the other end!

After the last class was finished, they had cookies and fruit punch for the kids. Then they handed out their completion certificates. We did the morning class this year, which was an improvement over the intense HEAT of the late afternoon one we did last summer.

Mary loves to wear the boys' goggles too. She can even put them on by herself!
No comments:
Post a Comment