Sunday, June 15, 2008

Father's Day

Today, we celebrated Bill and his role in our family as "Dad." We made his favorite chocolate chip muffins for breakfast, went to church, and then headed out for lunch at the High Cotton Grill with some friends. After lunch, we came home and relaxed... and then Bill mowed the lawn (he did manage to sneak a nap in there).

We decided to do hamburgers on the grill for dinner. While the coals were heating, we gave him his gifts (some much needed clothes!), and handmade cards. I took this picture of the kids this week, all wearing his flight suits - and as many patches as I could find to put on them! I'm putting a small one into a frame for his desk at work as well. We're pretty proud of him... in his role as a husband, father, and officer in the AF as well. We have a lot to be thankful for in Bill.
Our picnic began out on the patio...
and ended up indoors, due to so many flies!
I made him a "cookie cake" - his favorite dessert (and a Mrs. Fields original, I might add). I love you, honey!
Hurry up, Daddy!
Yum!
Here's the picture that I put on the card. I love how big and floppy the flight suits are on the kids. I was inspired to take this while folding the clean laundry this. Ivan and Grant wanted to put them on... I ran upstairs and pulled a third out of Bill's closet, along with the appropriate hats. Mary loves to dress up too, so it was a fun activity for everybody! I have to add an extra bit of thanks for my "Daddy" too. Dad, thank you for your patience, kindness, wisdom, and your confidence in me to be the woman God created me to be. My memories of you are so, so sweet... many make me smile, cry, and laugh out loud, too. Thanks for loving me and David, and most of all, for loving Mom. Thank you for your time - for making those memories with me as a kid... and now for making those memories with me, as a mother. I love to see you with our kids - they don't know, yet, how blessed they are to have you as their grandfather. I hope your day was a wonderful one. I love you, Dad.

Thank you, also, to my father-in-law, Tom, for being a loving father and grandfather as well... and for raising a great son. I get to benefit from your wonderful example!

Happy Father's Day to all you DADS out there, and thanks for all you do!

12 comments:

Marian said...

AWWWW!!! i love the flight suit photo!!! you'll have to make it an annual photo shoot!!! i'm going to have to steal that idea and have the kids wear O.R. scrubs!!

Megan said...

Happy Father's Day. I love that picture of the kids in the flight suits. So adorable.

Rachel said...

What an awesome tribute to Bill and your dad. Your words to your dad are what every father would be proud to hear from his grown daughter. LOVED The picture- such a cute idea.
Way to go creative girl!!!

Kobies said...

Happy Father's Day to Bill. I loved the picture! And, to Mrs. Fields, I need the cookie cake recipe!

Lovin' on my Boys said...

Oh cute. I'll have to try that with my boys someday. ;)

Organized Chaos said...

Hey...I can see your blog again! Not sure what the problem was.

You're kids are all looking so big. I love the flight suit photo, I think I'm going to use that idea, too.

Organized Chaos said...

Hey...I can see your blog again! Not sure what the problem was.

You're kids are all looking so big. I love the flight suit photo, I think I'm going to use that idea, too.

Organized Chaos said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mommy Nee said...

Nummy cookie cake! I want the recipe too. Also, forget stealing your picture idea, I'm just going to hire you to photograph my kids. That way I get the idea and the talent! Seriously though, you have an amazing gift.

By the way, am I imagining it, or is your blog background missing the "Mrs."? It just says "Fields Favorites" now. Did you get sued or something?

Jenna said...

Kathy:

I found your blog through Emily Minks' blog, which led me to Rachel Minks' blog, which led me to your blog! :)

I LOVE your blog and have been checking in for awhile now and had to leave a note to let you know what an inspiration you've been to me. I love seeing all your fun ideas you do with your boys, since I have two little boys too! :)

And.....your little Mary is adorable!

- Jenna Dunham (Jenna Gilmer from MCCS)

Jenna said...

P.S. Here's my email address:
jtdunham2000@yahoo.com

Mommy Nee said...

After rereading this post for the twentieth time, (since it's been awhile since we've heard from you), I've had a lot of time to contemplate the picture you took of the kids.

As outstanding as the photo is, I've become very impressed with your printing skills. The "Thank you Daddy" you wrote looks like you printed it off from a computer. Guess it's just another avenue of business you can explore one day. Creating computer fonts!