Sunday, March 22, 2009

A "big girl" cup - passed down from generation to generation

This cup is my favorite keepsake, or heirloom of sorts, from my my dad's side. Not sure that a silver cup is worth much monetarily, but it is worth so much in sentimental value. It has four generations of female initials engraved on the sides - my great grandmother, my grandmother, me and now my daughter. We all have the name or middle name of Katharine passed down to us. I have a picture of myself drinking from this cup at Mary's age, and was hoping to compare the two photos on here, but our scanner is not working! So, here is Mary, drinking from a silver cup that was first used by another girl of the same name, Mary Katharine, back in 1883. It took a long time to find someone who was actually confident enough to engrave it. "A family heirloom? From WHEN? No, no way. Sorry..." But, I finally found someone, and it turned out beautifully. And, there's room for more generations to come.

2 comments:

Jenny said...

What a beautiful tradition! Great post! I'm gonna have to ask you some of my "blogging beginner" questions. My attempts are now at www.headleehomepage.blogspot

a little frustrating to get started...

Megan said...

What a special gift. I love that.