Tuesday, September 29, 2009

USAFA 10th reunion and our 10th Anniversary!

TEN YEARS!
Let's start at the beginning... this is a long post with lots of photos. We had a pleasant surprise when getting off of our airplane in Denver. Dayton B, a long-time friend, was our pilot.
Then, at Budget rental, we ran into Scotty Fowler. This is the guy (one of the two) who introduced me to Bill.
And yet another surprise... snow??? We headed straight to the mall in Aurora for some winter coats! Then it was down to Colorado Springs...
That first night was my night to spend some quality time with one of my closest college friends, Jana. Six hours of catching up was just not enough! We had so much fun... and I loved getting to know her kids better. We have the same line up: boy, boy, girl. Aylin is a doll, Jana, so glad to finally meet her!
I took this one of Chase and Brayden for Ivan and Grant. :)
We took off for dinner after Mark returned home from a day's work. He's a cop... and I think he just might have a crazier schedule than an Air Force pilot... which means Jana has a pretty crazy schedule too.
Of course... we had to get some coffee. An evening with Jana is just not complete without (is it for any Taylor grad?)!
On Thursday, we headed out to the Air Force Academy to register for the weekend and walk the grounds a bit. This place has special meaning for us. Not only did Bill spend four years here getting yelled at, oh, and getting an education... we dated while he was here, and got engaged right on the terrazzo (any former cadets or wives of one know what that is).
Mitchell Hall. This is the building where Bill's Graduation Ball was held. This is where I unknowingly walked around for a couple of hours with a diamond ring tied into my corsage. This is where I finally found it (Bill was sweating and kept staring at my chest all night, praying it would not fall off!)... and went outside to find my future husband on one knee, waiting to propose to me! And right in front of this building is where I said, "Yes."
The terrazzo... and the lines. Bill had to run these lines everywhere on campus as a fourth class (freshman) cadet... while being yelled at by an upper classman. Not all of his memories of this place are as lovely as mine!
We ran into a few old friends...

That evening, we had reservations at The Mona Lisa - a fondue restaurant in Historic Manitou Springs. This too, was a special place for us to revisit. 10 years ago, Bill was planning on proposing to me during dinner here. I had an idea it might happen and kept expecting a ring with each course. But, it never showed. Apparently it had been lost in the mail (we had multiple ring issues...).
The Mona LisaHappy 10th, honey. Here's to many more!

They brought out a special dessert for us. After we were served, Bill looked at me and said, "Well, I was planning on giving you a ring here, ten years ago, but it never happened. I thought I'd make up for that tonight." Yep... I have a new bit-o-bling on my right hand. :) What a fun surprise!!!

On Friday, we walked around the base a little bit more, and headed into his old chemistry department. It was fun for me to see where he had studied. I was not allowed up here when we were dating! The Academy is not your ordinary college/university experience. It's a bit like jail at times... with more and more leeway each year until you graduate. They call it "the zoo." Hilarious. However, there are some pretty smart people who walk out those gates after graduation. I know it was hard... but he did it and I'm proud of that!
The lab coats haven't changed. ;)
Bill and Dr. Hicks, one of his old professors
Bill's old squadron (from junior and senior years) - The Dogs of War!
Same rooms. Same trunks. Same quilts. Same stale everything.
The U.S. Air Force Academy Honor Code:
The Class Wall resides underneath the Chapel. This is dedicated by those who have gone before to the classes who follow... The crests you see are unique to each class year, and are on the sides of their class rings.


We ran into Brett Ellis, a good friend of ours from Keesler AFB in Mississippi. Hi, Cindy!!! The reunion buffet lunch took place in Arnold Hall. We saw quite a few old friends here too.
The Clarks - Steve was Bill's roommate during their last two years at the Academy. It was great to see you guys! Bill and Dan Crump
Inside the Academy Chapel (a little blurry... oh well)

Bill and Chris Hand - still hammin' it up. Chris was in our wedding 10 years ago - it was great to see him and to meet his wife, Melaney, too.
There is a photograph lurking around of somebody I know sitting on this Pegasus... in his birthday suit. We stopped at the Stahr's home that afternoon to say hi. We fit in a lot of friends that day!
The Martins - Matt and Karrah knew us before we were "us" too. We had not been stationed at the same base since pilot training, so it was really fun to see them again.
Saturday was the Homecoming football game against San Diego.
The "Sea of Blue" - where the cadets have to sit. I remember using my telephoto lens to scan the crowd, trying to find Bill... It's like "Where's Waldo" but everyone is wearing BLUE.Speaking of blue, I accidentally hit a button on my camera during the game. A few of my shots turned blue... so I changed them to black and white.
The flyovers... P-51, A-10, and an F-15E
Hot dude in the stands
"The Bird"
...and the real bird! It's tradition to have the falcon mascot fly around the stadium. This particular picture looked kind of neat BLUE, so I left it!
GO FALCONS!
Us with Chris and Melaney Hand
The guys
Falcon Stadium
Mt. Rainier last week... Pikes Peak this week. Both are breathtaking...
We had a great trip, and the kids had a great time with Grandpa and Grandma. I think my parents were just glad that we returned to happy, healthy and not hurt kids! Thanks for 10 great years honey... excited to see where we'll be in 2019!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

So glad that you had fun at the reunion. It is fun to see who knows who in the Air Force. Karrah and Matt live around the corner from us. The Air Force seems to be getting smaller all the time.

Sherry Maddox

Organized Chaos said...

Wow...thanks for my own trip down memory lane with that post. The stadium, Mitchell Hall (one name Brad said "NO" to when we discussed boy "M" names because he didn't want his son named after the cafeteria), Mona Lisa, Pikes Peak etc. Maybe some day this will be home again...for now just lots of good memories of meeting my hubby there too and getting engaged at the academy, too!

Megan said...

It was so nice to see you both. I love the Mona Lisa and I'm glad you had a great anniversary getaway!