Thursday, February 21, 2008

Ivan and Grant's first theatrical production!

How fun to see a live production with our boys! Ivan's Kindergarten class had a field trip to see the "Wizard of Oz" at the historical Saenger Theatre in Biloxi. A friend of mine watched Mary for me, so I could bring Grant along too and enjoy the production with both boys. Thanks, Heather! I really was amazed at how excited they both were. They had been anticipating this for a while, and with Grandma's last visit (our biggest Dorothy fan), you can bet they had a thorough knowledge of the story! Here's Ivan with some of his kindergarten buddies, awaiting the play to begin!Dorothy was great. She had a fabulous voice and winning personality - very "like" Judy Garland. The entire production had only seven cast members, so there had to be some short cuts. Grant noticed that they "cut" the short people! He kept saying, "There are no munchkins, Mom. Where are the munchkins?" Honestly, the way the show was done, they were hardly missed. They were alluded to and that was all you needed. I initially was disappointed that they also had nontraditional songs, but once the characters grabbed my attention, I didn't' mind (that much). Overall, it was a wonderful production. Ivan and Grant were on their knees most of the time, and occasionally I would hear Ivan whispering to his buddies, "I wonder what will happen next!!!"

Afterward, we were able to meet the characters out in the lobby. The boys were so excited to shake hands with everyone, including Dorothy...
The Tinman...

Glinda, the "good witch"...and even "The Wicked Witch of the West!" Grant was glad to see that she was "a nice lady." Ivan kept commenting on her green face. : )

No comments: