Sunday, July 29, 2007

Along came a spider...

Have you ever seen the movie, "Arachnophobia?" We've been reliving that movie in our own backyard this past weekend. We had been on a great track of not seeing any poisonous spiders this summer until now...



Grant pointed this Black Widow out to us in our garage yesterday.



















Yesterday, the boys had been playing outside by their sandbox all day. It doesn't have any sand in it, as our yard is still covered with sand, thanks to Hurricane Katrina. The sandbox had some water in it though from recent rain. Bill was out there with Ivan today and decided to dump the water out. To his surprise, as he grabbed the edges (yes, with his fingers underneath and inside) and tipped it up, there were two widow spiders hiding out. One was this Brown Widow (I didn't know there was such a thing - there are also gray ones), with her sack of eggs, the other was a Black Widow. Both were larger than yesterday's spider. Needless to say, they are all DEAD and we have been educating the boys, once again, on what to do if they see one.





I think that I now have as many pictures of crazy animals and insects on my blog as I do of our children.



2 comments:

Jodi said...

Hi Kathy! I've never left a comment on your blog before, so "hi!" Those spiders! EEEW! I've only seen a black widow in person once, when we lived in San Diego. He lived a short life also. Your blog is beautiful. The colors are cool and so are the pics. :)

Anonymous said...

Do I ever remember that movie! Remember we saw it together when my family was visiting? Remember all the practical jokes afterward?? Your mom put fake spiders in my bed- ha ha!!

Lisa