Friday, October 12, 2007

An afternoon at the Base Marina Park

OK... on beautiful days with a coastal breeze, I really don't mind living in the South (did I just say that?). I do, however, feel like we are on some kind of a long vacation. It just doesn't seem like "home" to me when I drive by palm trees and the ocean on a daily basis. The Gulf coast does have a beauty that is all it's own, though, as you'll see in the photos. Mossy oaks, pelicans (as many as there are seagulls!), beautiful water inlets in the bayou, etc. I know that I complained when we got here about the heat and the bugs... the awful heat and the poisonous bugs... oh, and the snakes... and alligators in our neighborhood (remember that 10 footer?)... you know, trivial things like that... BUT... God has brought the beauty to my attention as well. This is one of the things I have learned to appreciate about our Air Force life. We get to experience and get a little taste for so many places and people (every few years, in fact!). And with that, we experience so much of His creation as well. Here's a little glimpse of that (no bugs this time) from our day at the marina park.



Ivan, Grant and Mary on the pier

A C-130 flying in. It's fun to be playing at the park, with a runway and the noise of the jets in the background. Reminds me of our days in UPT... when Bill was training to be a pilot and we lived on base. Planes in the sky, night and day. You get used to it... then you leave, and it's something you miss.

The boys - ready to slide!



Isn't the moss incredible? Like out of a story book of some sort.

The pretty pelicans. Really, there were so many. Reminded me of a scene from "Finding Nemo" when the seagulls would hang around!

The Gulf is in plain view, as you drive out the front gate of the base. It's beautiful.

No comments: