Saturday, July 19, 2008

Learning to SAVE

We are trying to instill a sense of wisdom in our kids, when it comes to money. We recently purchased cash boxes for the kids - cute metal banks with a lock and key, plus a combination. They love them and are excited to save their own money.

We have a poster in our kitchen of all the things we want to do this summer. One of those things was to have a lemonade stand. We waited for their banks to arrive, and decided it was time! Our neighborhood is pretty quiet... and we live on a cul-de-sac. That combination alone doesn't make for a great turn out. But, the boys were patient. At one point, they were sitting there, looking completely bored. While staring off into space, Grant said, "This is SO much fun, Mom." Simple pleasures, I guess. I remember my first lemonade stand - I was saving my money for an Annie doll. I still have her!
Each of the boys made a sign. Grant's has a cup of lemonade with a straw (the scribble ball and stick) and a man who is happy to drink it! Ivan made the sign with the steep price of 90 cents. I told him that seemed a little high. He came out with his sign that now said, "5 cents... or 90 cents." Pretty flexible. Luckily, most buyers paid full price. :) Even Daddy stopped his yard work to buy a cup from them! It was fun to watch them, hard at work. Ivan poured while Grant held the cups. They worked together and between the two made about 8 dollars!
Next lesson - learning to TITHE!

1 comment:

Megan said...

Good Job, Boys! I hope Mary feels better soon. Your pictures of Minnesota are really great. It looks like you really had a lovely time.