Wednesday, August 6, 2008

IVAN begins FIRST GRADE

Tuesday was Ivan's first experience as a First Grader, and today was his first full day. Here are the "official" first day photos... and of course, the backpack shot! ...And a picture of the crew back home, sending him off for his big day.
This will be my first public school experience, and yes, "Mommy" is a bit nervous. I have researched the school well, so I feel good about that. Some of you are probably going, "WHAT?" because you thought I was homeschooling Ivan this year. Plans change! Although, when a child with GREEN hair walked into the classroom...
Mrs. Palmer is Ivan's teacher. She seems very nice - Ivan liked her right away.
Her classroom has an ocean theme. Ivan's backpack cubby had a shark name tag - he thought that was pretty cool (better than the seahorse that the guy next to him was stuck with).
Mrs. Palmer let him choose his desk, then she had him spell his name for his name card.
I can hardly believe that Ivan is in elementary school. These milestones are always a bit hard to swallow - it's a bittersweet time to watch your child grow up and become more independent!
Two thumbs up for the first grade!
Ivan's birthday is right at the cut off, so he is probably the youngest one in his class. So far, so good. I think he'll do just fine!
That's our kid!
He did have a successful first day. I am driving him, which he (and I) prefers. As I dropped him off, he did his classic kiss, then proceeded to "blow me many kisses" as he walked out. He stopped and turned back to me for a hug. I had to catch my breath, or the tears would have overflowed! I choked out, "Have a great day, Ivan!" After he was out of the van, I said, "Oh, I hope he has a wonderful first day." Grant piped up with a "Me Too!" from the back seat.

We all were excited to pick him up after school. I asked how it went to get his lunch in the cafeteria today. He said, "Perfect! I had pizza - it was pepperoni, Mom - and corn (he actually ate a vegetable without me at his side!) and chocolate milk. It was easy!" He loves his teacher and recess is his favorite time of day (what's new in the life of a young boy?!). Tonight, however, he was concerned that 1st grade might not be as fun as kindergarten... I tried to assure him that it will be just as fun - just different.

He asked me if they pray at this school... gulp. No. I assured him that he can pray whenever he wants to. How hard to explain the separation of church and state to a kid! It is different for me to have my kid in a place that won't be nurturing his spiritual side, as I grew up in a private Christian school K through college. I know he'll be protected, and he's definitely covered in prayer! As a mom though... it is so hard not to worry. I love my kids.

3 comments:

Megan said...

I hear everything you said and did it yesterday with Mazie too. I think it hit me hard because I wasn't expecting it to. I did this last year with her in Kindergarten, right? First grade should have been easier. Not for me. It just hit me like a ton of bricks. Cried all the way home. Jamie's first preschool day was today and I was prepared (at least a little better).

beukelman blog said...

Ivan - you are getting so big and as handsome as ever! great pictures of his classroom! glad he's enjoying it!

Samantha said...

I hope you have a GREAT public school experience! My five years teaching there were nothing but wonderful!