Sunday, September 9, 2007

First full week of school... take two

Take two, you say? What happened? ... let me tell you... After we all were "well" and the boys started their first day of school with a bang, Ivan spiked another fever that night. The next day, Grant went to school by himself. He was the only healthy person in our house, as Bill and I both had a little "sinus - something" happening too - short lived, thankfully. Anyway, we ended up just keeping Ivan home the rest of the week, and getting Mary on an antibiotic for a right ear infection. The weekend has been good for everyone and I think all are well-rested, healthy and ready for another try at a full week of school.

Today was a good Sunday. We opted to stay home from church, just to let everyone rest. We woke up, ate breakfast, played, and then had a little family devotions time at the kitchen table. We read stories out of my old children's Bible - about Tower of Babel, and another about Moses leading the Israelites out of Egypt. The boys love it, and always have lots of questions. I was cracking up, thinking, "Are we doing this backwards?" when Ivan piped up with a hilarious answer to Bill' question. Bill asked, "Do you remember who was hurting the Israelites?" Ivan said, "I know -it was the bad mayor." ... that would be the correct answer, had it been the Veggie Tales version. Later, we pointed to the man in the picture and asked who he was. Ivan replied, "That's Cucumber Moses!" I guess right now, it's more important that he gets the main point of the story... even if he relates to it better in vegetable mode!

Grant helped me make pancakes this weekend, while everyone else was sleeping in. It is always so nice to get one-on-one time with our kids. I loved this time with Grant and got some pictures of it too. He did such a good job stirring and pouring the pancakes... it was the flipping part that needed a little work! : ) All in all, we had a great breakfast - mostly made by our 3 and a half year old.
Time to eat!

1 comment:

Melissa Guay said...

Okay, I'm impressed and inspired - I think it's time to let my kids get near hot pans and actually COOK. The most I let them do is mix things and knead dough...and then Ains just ends up making "fruit fly cake" with flour, water and salt.