Funny how this all began after reading my friend Melynie's blog (Organized Chaos) and learning about her long night with crying girls... Yesterday, Mary was running a slight fever. I gave her some Tylenol and thought that maybe it was related to her teething, or maybe (please, no) another ear infection flaring up.
First of all, I made the huge mistake of staying up late to catch up on the kids baby books (some moms finish at one year. NOOOO... I started Ivan's first FIVE, and now am following suit for Grant and Mary - ugh). I went to bed at 1a.m. thinking, "I'll be fine with a good 6.5 hours sleep. Well, at 3 am, Mary woke us up screaming. She had thrown up all over her bed and then stood up to vomit again onto the floor. I have to say - I absolutely love having a daughter who has hair. But when she vomits... you can guess how much fun that hair is then. She was a mess, her bed was a mess....
Grant came walking in, disoriented. He almost started to cry... I said, "Grant, Mary is very sick. She just threw up in her bed." He goes, "Oh, no!" and sat down on the floor, content to watch me change her (she's still crying). After she was all clean, I set her on the floor by her books for a moment so I could change her bed. Grant began to "encourage" her... "Oh Mary, I'm so sorry you are sick. It's OK... CALM DOWN, MARY... you know, when I get sick, I don't cry. (yeah right) Mary, you know that when you get a little bigger you get to have FOUR SHOTS!" The boys were vaccinated last week and it made quite an impact on them. That is another story in itself... We finally got Grant back to bed. Then I gave Mary some diluted juice to prevent dehydration and more Tylenol (still feverish). After rocking her for quite a while, she finally was asleep by 4:30am.
At 5:00 sharp, Ivan climbed into bed next to me, sobbing. He said, "I had a bad dream Mommy. That you were leaving me." I calmed him down and reassured him... just in time for Grant to pop back into our room. Both kids back in bed by 5:30.
Grant showed up at 6:30 am... ready to start his day. I, however, was NOT. He decided to sleep on our floor... for fifteen minutes. After another fifteen minutes of trying to get him back to bed, we decided it was worthless. By this time, Ivan was up. I figured that Mary and I would be staying home from church today... so I took the boys downstairs to play and let Bill sleep in. What a night!
A load of vomit-laden sheets are being washed as I type. As for Bill.... he did get up to finish changing the crib for me with no complaining, AND, he has the boys at church. That was pretty nice! I guess a baby who has been sleeping 12 hours straight a night since 3.5 weeks old is entitled to one sleepless night for Mommy, right? She is now napping and I plan on making my way through this pot of Starbucks coffee and taking a long shower. Maybe we'll have mandatory naps for everyone today.
3 comments:
oh my goodness...sounds like a few nights we've had. glad you got to have some rest though and your husband was home. what's that you said about loving your job?
Lack of sleep is the one downfall with kiddos!! For the past 6 months, Wes has been waking up a couple times each night with bad dreams. Some nights its been as many as 5 times but usually only once or twice. Its been hard for both of us. And yes, we've had the vomit episodes too... Not fun!!! Oh well, mostly good wth a little not so much. Good thing they're adorable.
Mary's been sleeping 12 hours since 3 1/2 weeks? You have her on a Benadril IV pump, don't you? I hope she is feeling better. What a bummer of a night!!
Post a Comment