Wednesday, April 1, 2009

The Audubon Insectarium in New Orleans

We spent April Fool's Day with a few other AF mommies and kids at the new "Audubon Insectarium" in New Orleans. This very cool BUG museum is right downtown, on Canal Street. Here are some of the kids, taking in the view from the parking garage... French Quarter straight ahead and around the bend!
Love the color...
Here we go!!!
The kids: Reese, Will, Lily, Brooke, Rockie, Mary, Ivan and Grant (not pictured, Dylan and Evelyn)
Inside the main hallway... so much to see!
The kids are inspecting a HUGE cockroach here.
Want to touch a millipede?!
The ant farm was incredible - complete with "ant cams" that were filming "live" everything they were up to inside! They even had large leaf and flower petal pieces that the ants were carrying around... the kids loved this. Beats the ant farm we had in our kitchen last year!
Mary ventures underground...
A giant earthworm!!
And centipede! Mary's not so sure about this one...
This was great... and really gross. It's a view-from-the-bottom pantry, filled with cockroaches. That is the one and only bug that really gets to me. Those little things are so nasty, way too fast, and the way they can flatten themselves out to get under things always seems a little freakish to me. The boys, of course, thought this was awesome.
Driving a "bug!"
A little bit of Louisiana... complete with baby alligators, crawfish, etc...
Ivan, Evelyn and Lily - watch out for swamp creatures!
Mary just kept sitting on this gator head... taking it all in.
On our way into the bug movie theater, we found glass cases in the floor. They would light up and reveal a variety of scorpions!
This area was really neat to see...
These cases were filled with live cocoons... and many had already hatched. The kids were fascinated to watch metamorphosis in action!
From that room, we could walk into the butterfly "flight" area - a room filled with live butterflies!
They were so pretty and were just flying free. I had never experienced a butterfly house before and thought this was so cool.
Look, Mom! I can get it to go on my finger!
And, of course... as you walk out at the end, you fall straight into a TRAP. The gift shop! The boys discovered back scratchers, as you can see in this picture. Here's our entire group of mommies and kids, on our way out. Thanks for going, ladies! It was a fun day (minus lunchtime, ha ha ha).
As we walked along canal street, we saw a couple of very familiar looking statues!
On our way home, Alexis and I drove around the French Quarter area again. I am trying to take everything in as much as I can... as we'll be moving north, sometime in May. I love New Orleans! I love any big city, really, but it sure is fun to get to know different areas. That is one part of the Air Force life that I am definitely going to miss.

2 comments:

Jenna said...

What a fun place! My boys would love to go there and check out all the bugs....too bad we're in Dallas!

Kobies said...

I think Jer would have to take our kiddos to a place like that. I'm creepy crawly just looking at the pictures. I'll bet the kids loved it though!! It looks like a fun day.