I am so sentimental when it comes to traditions, and I hope that my children can learn to appreciate them as well. I love it when a familiar smell or sound can trigger a childhood memory. One of those smells, for me, is the vinegar we used for coloring our eggs every Easter. The packages say that you don't have to add it, but I always do. I want my kids to remember the "smell" of dyeing their eggs too.
Another tradition I do for every holiday is to switch out our books downstairs. I bring out the holiday-appropriate books (and videos) and put the others away until the following year. It makes them new and exciting each time they see them again. It is nice, however, with Easter... we have our Easter books downstairs, but have been reading out of my old children's Bible at bedtime. I love their thirst for learning at such a young age, and that they like to listen to God's word (especially if it has pictures!).
Ivan kept saying, "Let's go back to the page where Jesus died, Mom. I want to see dead Jesus." This sounded so funny to me (dead Jesus?). I said, "Let's focus on Jesus being alive! He arose, remember?" He said, "Yes, Mom, but I just don't want to forget." My 5 year old son, was a reminder for me to remember the price Jesus paid for my own sins. ...out of the mouths of babes. What blessings these kids are in my life. Tomorrow is Easter, however... and we will definitely be celebrating His resurrection. Where would we be without it?
1 comment:
So cute! Love the book switching out idea, might have to copy that...
Post a Comment