Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Tornado drills at home

Last night, we found ourselves under another tornado watch. The boys had so many questions and wanted to know the difference between a "watch" and a "warning." It is strange living in a state where there are no basements. In Minnesota, I remember bad weather as being so exciting - we'd all run down to the basement as soon as those sirens went off, turn on the T.V., and watch the waves turn to white caps on the river outside. I remember my mom stuffing pillows, blankets and sometimes snacks in our storage closet down there, just in case we needed to head for cover! My brother and I loved the excitement of it all, but knew of the grim realities of a tornado actually hitting our home. The basement was our safe place - so we really never worried too much.

Here... it is different. We have tornado watches and warnings frequently this time of year in Mississippi! And... no basements? Eeeeek! I recently saw the aftermath photos of Prattville, AL, a town we called home a few years back, that had been struck by a tornado about 2 weeks ago. It hit 300 homes, and 60 businesses - right near our old house. Our friends said it was, "like the Wizard of Oz. Things were flying through the sky that shouldn't have been." Unbelievably, no one was killed. Amazing. With that news, and our new found passion for The Wizard of Oz story, tornadoes have become an interest for both Ivan and Grant.

So, we had a drill. We were watching the news and I said, "OK, guys, let's practice. We don't have a basement, so the safest place is probably getting really low in our bathroom - right in the middle of our house." I said, "On the count of three, I want you to each grab a pillow, run to the bathroom, sit down, and put the pillow over your head for protection. No fighting now, let's just be efficient! ... ready? ... one, two, THREE!"

The boys completed our drill just right. I followed them into the bathroom and found this funny sight!


Ivan was so into this, that when the flash from my camera went off, he leaped up and yelled, "WHAT WAS THAT?!!" I, trying not to burst into laughter, said, "My flash. I took a picture." He looked around and went, "Oh MAN. I thought it was LIGHTENING from a STORM. Oh man."

At least now we are prepared. Tornadoes aren't as thrilling when you don't have a basement, but at least we will get fair warning for the impending hurricanes! Those supposedly don't start up again until June.

6 comments:

Marian said...

oh so funny!!! the boys were laughing so hard at the photo! man! we need to have our own tornado drill!

beukelman blog said...

oh my gosh, that looks like some crazy yoga move. =) soooo funny but now you are prepared! on the dutch thing - i'm surrounded in j's family! they are 100% dutch. all his relatives still marvel at how dark my eyes are!

Jane Anne said...

That is quite a funny picture with them knealing in front of the potty! Seriously, it is wonderful that you practiced the drill. We have set our fire alarms off a couple of times while cooking and I realized we need to practice a fire drill with the kids. One time our alarm went off, the boys were asleep and Jonathan just kept sleeping. (That was scary to me.) I still need to have that practice drill. Thanks for the reminder!

Emma Mae Robinson said...

I love that you practice your natural disaster drills! It looked so fun that I thought I would try it. I threw Tim down in the bathroom tub and layed down on top of him to protect him and screamed, "Watch out for the debris and the flying cows!!!" Not really. But, when Emma is of age, you can count on me running these drills! :) I love it!

Collins Fam said...

Kathy! I miss you!

Rachel said...

So cute! What a great story and what a great mama. They'll be very prepared. :)