Saturday, March 1, 2008

Happy 4th Birthday, Grant!

Grant wanted a "Race Car" theme for his birthday party this year. The Fields Raceway opened it's gates at 11 a.m. for all race fans to arrive. Here is our four year old!
Before the party began, the boys discovered a strange man hovering in our backyard. As they approached the stranger, they were saying, "Who are you?" "What are you doing?" and Ivan was making sure Grant didn't get too close, "STAY BACK, Grant!!!" Smart kid, Ivan.Wait a minute... It's Uncle David! My brother flew in from California to surprise Grant. It was fun for me too, since he'd never visited our home in MS yet. : ) Can you tell the boys were excited to see him?

We began the big event with Big Wheel Time Trials in our cul-de-sac. These ended abruptly as the biting gnats quickly discovered us (those Mississippi BUGS!).Just some of the party decor... Each kid had a trophy filled with M&M's candies (Grant's favorite), Hot Wheels gummy snacks, a race car popper, and a checkered flag candy at the table.Goodie bags... waiting in great anticipation of the pinata finale!All of Grant's grandparents were able to be in town for his party. Thank you, Moms and Dads, for taking the time to travel down for his big day. It was so special for Grant to have you all here! Here's the crew, having a "concession stand lunch" of hot dogs, chips, grapes (gotta throw something healthy in there) and lemonade. Bill's brother, Patrick, is on the right. He drove down with our niece, Kaylen, and nephew, Glynn. It was really fun to have cousins to celebrate with too!I made a race track cake. I was so glad it turned out - this is literally the first cake I have ever made... since home-ec class in high school! "Happy Birthday to you!!!!" He loved it.My cutie pie kid. These are the big blue eyes that I just love.The birthday boy getting a big hug from Uncle Dave!Our race car drivers (we stuck to just a few AF friends and family this year!):
Jonas, Ivan, Grant, Glynn
Sean, Kaylen, Joseph, Brooke


Pin the #4 on the race car!Time for presents - everyone to the "Winner's Circle!"
...and a dragster pinata out back! Go, Grant!Mary sure enjoyed playing with her grandparents... lots of people to keep her company! : )
As the party ended and parents arrived to pick up their little race car drivers, each kid got to have a gold medal place around their neck. Everyone went home feeling like a winner!I had made some "stoplight cookies." After the party was over, I found them in the fridge! I'd completely forgotten about them. So, we enjoyed them with the cousins!This was Grant's favorite gift. A "big boy" bike. We waited until all of his little buddies had been picked up and the commotion level was down... then brought him outside and opened up the garage to reveal his new wheels! Happy Birthday, Grant. We love you!

4 comments:

Megan said...

So cool. Jeremiah would have gone crazy with that racing theme. What a neat party. Happy Birthday, Grant!

Mark and Joy Hess said...

This is all nice, but Kathy, in the future, if you could try to think of one thing and stick with in on the birthday party deal! I had a hard time picking up on the theme of this party and was also disappointed in the lack of activities and things for the kids. I bet they all just wondered what was going on??? :)
Man!! You are the BEST! It is so fun to see all of your dreams for this stuff actually being lived out with your kids! You are the best!! Too bad my kids won't be able to go to your kids' parties - I will look like a loser compared to this!! :) Or maybe the answer is you will just have to throw MY KIDS" parties!!!! :)
Was glad I caught you on his bd! Talk to you soon! love, J

Rachel said...

Happy Birthday Grant!! Wow Kathy, you are an AMAZING party planner-I not that I get shocked by your parties anymore... So neat that so much family could be involved!!! What a loving to family to fly in for the event. We just celebrated Ben's cousin's 6th leap year birthday too (he's actually 24).

MK said...

You're brother's hot! We need more pictures of him!