Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Puppy love... this young?

Our boys seem to already be fighting off the women at the tender ages of 4 and 5 and a half. It's quite funny (most of it), because it is all so innocent. I remember my first crush in kindergarten. His name was Billy Von Vette (anyone from MCCS remember him?). Even his name still makes me remember how excited I was about him. But sadly, he wasn't at my table. Then in first grade... it was Andy Graham. I was so excited when he shared his crayon sharpener with me. I also remember being chased by a boy named Erik Gilmer, when I was in kindergarten. In first grade, I chased him. Now we are both married, still friends and have families of our own. Childhood memories are so funny.

Ivan has had a bit of a crush on a little girl in his class named, Cathryn, just about all year. I've kept up on it with his teacher, off and on... making sure it's not encouraged at all... you know, just keeping the Mommy link there! Ivan begins his day, everyday, by seeking her out and saying, "Hi Cathryn. You look beautiful today." I remember having a conversation in the van with him on our way to Kindergarten one day. It went something like this:

Ivan: "I have a girlfriend, Mom."
Mommy: "You mean, a friend who is a girl?"
Ivan: "Nope, a girlfriend."
My ears perk up... "Why do you say that, Ivan?" ... ready for this one?
Ivan: "Because she kisses me all the time." Whaaaaat?!!! ...
Mommy: "Where does she kiss you?"
Ivan: "On the cheek... a lot." Hmmm...
Mommy: "I don't think that's appropriate in Kindergarten, Ivan. I don't think Mrs. Drake would approve of that either."
Ivan: "Oh, yes she would!"
Mommy: "Have you asked her, Ivan?"
Ivan: "Nope. And I don't want to find out!" Oh boy...

This past Friday was the class Easter party. I was asking Mrs. Drake about the two, and thankfully, the kissing phase was temporary. She did say that she heard this conversation on the playground, however:

Ivan: "Cathryn, someday you will marry me."
Cathryn "I'm not going to marry you, Ivan."
Ivan: "Oh yes you will. You're going to marry me."
Cathryn: "I'M not going to marry YOU. I'M not marrying ANYONE, Ivan."
Ivan: "Oh, you'll change your mind once you see me in my wedding suit!"

Where do they get this stuff?

THEN There's Grant. He's in the 3's preschool class... and just turned four last week. He is completely oblivious to it all, but has two little girls, named Birkie and Olivia, fighting over him. His teacher Mrs. Jackie overheard the two talking the other day, saying, "He's my boyfriend." "no, he's MINE." ... and so on.

I was chatting with Olivia's mom at their Easter party last week, and she said that her daughter talks about Grant all the time. She said that she picked her up from school the other day and Olivia was sobbing. She sobbed all the way to the car. When she finally calmed down enough to talk, her mom asked her what was the matter. She threw her head back and said, "Birkie MARRIED Grant!!!" Apparently Grant has no recollection of the event. Mrs. Jackie says he just goes about his business with two little girls shadowing him all day long.

I remember my childhood crushes. I wonder what my kids will remember about theirs?!

5 comments:

Emma Mae Robinson said...

This is a riot! My first kindergarden crush was on a little boy named Brian. He had such an overbite that his top teeth rested on his on his lower lip. I thought that this was so cool that I went around all year forcing my mouth into an overbite, resting my teeth on my bottom lip so I could be just like him!

Marian said...

I missed out going to an all girl catholic school for 12 years!! Hilarious Ivan!! Patrick gives me the evil eye when I ask him about girls. He just pouts and tells me "I DON'T HAVE A GIRLFRIEND MOM!!...I DON'T WANT A GIRLFRIEND!!" Hmmm...I hope that lasts until he's 18...or 21 or 41...

Megan said...

Your boys are too funny!

Amy said...

Oh do I feel your pain. I posted once about Kathryn's second kissing experience at school. It is under 'kid quotes' on the side. You have to love it when your first grader says, "That is totally inappropriate."

Rachel said...

This is hilarious and so cute... Ok Kath, I almost must add (and anyone who knows you can attest).. does the phrase "apple doesn't fall far from the tree" mean anything to you?? You were quite sought after back in the day... Its no wonder your boys have the same charm. :)