Saturday, March 29, 2008

Happy 31st, Bill!

Today is Bill's 31st birthday. For as long as we've been married, my husband has wanted a nice desk chair. The poor guy has been sitting on an old, antique-type, falling apart, stuffing-pulled-out-of-the-back-by-the-kids, arms-make-noise-every-time-you-sit-down, chair. So, I took the kids to Office Max to pick out Daddy's big surprise! I was pretty proud of my purchase, as I found one that sat well, was leather and mid-level in price, and was also a new floor model - so I got an additional discount! Great purchase, right?

As you can see above, the boys enjoyed decorating his chair with all of my gift bows. Finally, I stood back and said, "Looks great, guys! I think we're done!" Ivan jumped up and said, "No way! I can still see some black - he's gonna know what it is!!!"

Bill arrived home from work, and we all hid in the living room (Mary was napping). We jumped up and yelled, "Surprise!" The boys had him close his eyes and led him into his study. Hooray - he loved it!!! I had him sit down in it for a picture with the boys and POP - the back of the chair broke. Totally popped out of the arms. What in the world??? We took the picture... and he stood up to examine his "slowly-decreasing-in-greatness" gift. It was missing parts too. Nice. I guess that is what I get for shopping with three children, each trying out the chairs, with me.

My husband loves cookie cakes - you know, the large pan-like cookie, decorated with frosting? He has had one for every birthday, for as long as he can remember. I have been busy and decided to pick one up at Wal-Mart instead of making one... or ordering from a cookie company (the closest one... isn't close). The lady handed it over the counter. Ivan scrunched his face and asks, "THAT's Daddy's cookie cake?" It was pastel pink, yellow, and blue, with a plain tiny "31" written off to one side. I should have just left it that way, because it looked hilarious. The lady could probably tell my reaction to it and asked, "What?" I, as nicely as possible, asked if she could add a little more to the numbers... it looked better...

Bill's mom used to be a gourmet chef. She used to make beautiful cakes. She made all of his cookie cakes. I can probably guarantee this is the ugliest one he's ever had. But you know what? It tasted great. : )

After we celebrated, we put Mary down for her nap. Then we brought her over to a friend's house (Thanks, Heather!) and took the boys to see "Horton Hears a Who." It was a very cute movie, with some classic "Jim Carrey-ness" in it. No inuendos, which was nice... However, they did call the Who Mayor a "boob" a few times. Thankfully, we haven't heard that repeated yet! Overall, it was a nice birthday, even with a broken chair and a "pretty" ugly cookie!
Happy Birthday, Honey!

No comments: