Wednesday, September 17, 2008

First Day of School (take two!)

We are well into our first month of homeschooling, but have been so busy that we haven't done any official "1st day" photos. I thought that today would be nice in commemorating that special day, since it was the boys' first day at their weekly homeschoolers' co-op. The co-op is located at our church in Biloxi and is called "HEARTS." It stands for Home Educated And Ready To Serve. Normally, you have to be a teacher or an assistant to have your kids be in the kindergarten or preschool class, but the co-op director is allowing me to use it as a drop-off afternoon, because of Bill's deployment. I am so thankful that the boys have a fun place to learn... and that I get every Tuesday afternoon to catch up on a few things! It works out perfectly with Mary's nap too: I drop them off at 12:15 p.m.; head home for Mary's nap (she still sleeps three hours in afternoon); catch up on laundry, the house, and ME; wake her up; have a snack and then pick up the boys at 4:15 p.m.

Here are our three - with little sister sending the boys off for their big day! Can you tell who our little HAM is? Ivan kept saying, "Mary, sit down. Sit down, Mary..." Grant thought she was just hilarious.
I took a couple individual shots of the boys... I think it's funny that neither of them is showing their teeth! I asked Grant what kind of smile this was. He said that it's his "soccer smile." Oh, o.k. : ) They did have practice that evening!
Here's Ivan!
And here they are in their co-op room at our church. Their teachers are Miss Kate and Miss Brandy.
Mary always loves to check out the fountain in front of our church, so we ran over to peek at it before heading home. It was fun, skipping out of church, hand in hand with my little girl. We don't get much time just the two of us! I'll probably be cutting those naps a little short so we can just enjoy each other a bit too. : )
The boys had a great first day. We picked them up, went out for Mexican, made a quick pit-stop to a friends' home to play, and headed right back to church for soccer practice. When we got into the van, Ivan didn't look so good. We got home and he had a 102.7 fever. So, I guess tomorrow will be a "sick day." I'm just glad he was able to enjoy his first day at the co-op. We are getting into a good routine while Daddy is gone... now I just need to fit in a few trips to the GYM.

2 comments:

Megan said...

You are doing an amazing job! I am glad the boys like the co-op and that you still manage to get some time to yourself.

Marian said...

Hooray for the Fields! I was thinking about you at lunchtime today --- we'll have to have lunch with the boys as Salsarita's