Thursday, September 25, 2008

The Shrimp Guy

Fresh shrimp is a MUST when you live on the Gulf Coast. And, you can pick it up on every corner! Just look for the flag... and a sketchy van or truck with coolers in the back... and you've found dinner. This particular gentleman has been coined, "The Shrimp Guy!" by our boys. He's on the corner in Ocean Springs, every day, near our Wal-Mart... and has the best prices in town. Today, we bought 3 pounds of shrimp from him. The boys love to get out and watch him open the coolers, weigh the shrimp and then help carry the bag for me.
This is the shrimp flag design - almost every street vendor has one. They go down to the marina area every morning and get the shrimp right off of the shrimp boats. This guy's brother does the shrimping, and he sells it.
What fun!!! I may not miss living in the South... but I will definitely miss the seafood.
I take it all home, chop off their heads, and toss them into a pot of boiling water with some ears of corn...
That's right... you're going in.
Three minutes later (FYI - you boil shrimp 1 minute per pound)... Walla! A yummy and very healthy dinner!The boys could peel shrimp and eat it all day... with ketchup (no cocktail sauce for them).
Mary, on the other hand... spit hers out and opted for a PB sandwich.
Ivan likes his with his Hurricane Katrina hot sauce. He is definitely our spicy kid! I think this will be one of our favorite family memories of living down here. Making visits to see The Shrimp Guy!

4 comments:

Jawn said...

that's so cool! my husband would love if we had a "shrimp guy" but I think all three of my kids would opt for peanut butter. i'm impressed your boys eat them.

Emma Mae Robinson said...

I have to admit...I think I'm on Mary's side. I'm pretty sure I'd have to spit them out too. Those heads are nasty.

Katie said...

Mary is a girl after my own heart...

Kevin, Kari and kids... said...

Hi, Kathy! I found your blog from Melynie Cote Hall's and after seeing your pictures knew I had to comment! I love shrimp, but I have to say, I think I would have to draw the line when it comes to having to cut their heads off! It makes me appreciate all the more when my grocer, freezer section of the store says, 'peeled and deveined'! ;-)