Good news for the day - I heard from Bill and he has landed safely in Iraq. He sounds happy, but missing home, and may have some form of video cam soon, so we can eventually "see" him! I can't imagine how separated families must have felt during times of war before video and email were around. Just waiting for weeks or months for a letter from a loved one... we have a lot to be thankful for.
OK, so many of you have asked WHY we took Ivan out of school. There were a few different reasons, but the major one was that he was just really having a hard time, emotionally. He was getting in trouble (just talking, being silly kind of stuff) and would come home upset every day. One day, he said, "Mom, I get in trouble every day here. I only got in trouble one time in all of kindergarten!" We gave it a week and a half... and after much discussion, prayer, and talks with friends and teachers... decided that he would do better staying in kindergarten for one more year. Ivan's birthday is August 29th - right at the cut off. He was the youngest in his class, and I think that if he gets one more year under his belt, first grade will be a breeze. We talked with him about it, and gave him the choice (because of his special birthday!) - he chose kindergarten... and said, "And Mom? I really want to homeschool." My first impulse was to run away, but I stayed. ; ) I looked at Bill and he said, "That is up to you." I looked at Ivan and said, "OK."
So, after the educational roller coaster came to a stop... we decided to keep Grant at home as well (pre-K). Have I regretted this decision? Not for a minute. Although, when all of my friends' children are off to school, and they have free time for themselves for seven hours a day, yeah, it's crossed my mind. But, to be honest, it's going great. Both boys are pretty open to it, and I've been keeping Ivan up on some of the first grade math and reading anyway - to give him a boost for the following year. It's taken some time for us to get into a routine, and not every day goes as planned (at all sometimes!), but I really feel good about this decision (and many of you DO know what kind of roller coaster "mommy" was on to come to this decision!). And this week, with Bill's deployment and the hurricanes, etc... I feel like it has been really good for all of us just to be together. Ivan was not emotionally ready to be away all day long, and I think he would have been completely stressed having his daddy gone on top of it all.
The boys begin soccer tomorrow, and Awana on Sunday, and a homeschooling Co-Op (once a week) through our church the following Tuesday. We'll be busy enough as it is, and it's been fun to set our own routine. Besides getting more quality time with all three of my kids, Mary gets to take her nap at her normal time of day as well. I like that. So far, so good!
7 comments:
Oh, that sounds so fun! Did you find a cleaning lady yet? I will also recommend finding a fluff and fold - seriously, use the extra money to give your self a break, lady!
Mckenna's bday is August 19 and we've waited, too. I'm sure this will be challanging for you but sounds like the time at home with family may be good for Ivan right now.
Hope your storm free for awhile!
My hat goes off to you! I couldn't home school. I don't have enough patience for that. Keep your chin up. You are doing what is right for your family. Isn't that what we all try to do?
That sounds like a great plan about homeschooling, Kathy! And I wanted to let you know that I have been reading your blog occasionally and Tom and I have been keeping you and your family in our prayers!! What a whirlwind! I love the story about The Kissing Hand. I use that story for my kindergarten class every year. Afterwards, we do an activity for our Hopes and Dreams for the year. The kids absolutely love it! Love you guys!!
Great idea on giving Ivan an extra year. I made that decision for Josh, Jaden and Bri and never regretted it.
I considered it to be a gift - an extra year to be a kid. You only get to be little once. Parents who push their kids through fast....only end up having their kids grow up too quickly and are rarely mature enough to act like adults.
Our family loves the kissing hand. I gave it to Jed for Christmas after he killed the racoon in our garage:)
Love and all our prayers!
I'm glad you've given the gift of that extra year of being a kid!! You won't regret it!
I know this hasn't been a decision you took lightly. From my perspective, I really see how God's hand guided you... If you would've started Homeschool off the bat, you may have wondered... Now, there's no doubts and you absolutely know you're doing what's best for your fam. So awesome how everything came about!
Post a Comment