Saturday, September 6, 2008

He's off!

This has been a stressful couple of weeks - I'm not gonna lie. From evacuations to deployments - we have been a busy family! Bill's date to leave was moved a day earlier than we thought. We dropped him off at the airport this morning.

I had been fine - not having really shed a tear, until last night. We always find our boys sleeping together, somewhere, in their room. Sometimes it's on one or the other's bed, or on the floor, etc. Last night, Grant was on Ivan's bed. I was checking on them before we went to sleep and grabbed Bill to take one last peek at their very cute, nightly routine. I left for a minute and came back to Bill holding Grant in the dark. He was just standing there, hugging his sleeping little boy. The dam broke and I was fighting tears for the rest of the evening.
The last day before a deployment, or I would guess before any kind of a separation from a loved one, is a strange one. We were both kind of quiet, contemplative... Before this week, I just could hardly stand the anticipation. Both of us just wanted him to go, so we could get on with it all... But as yesterday went on, Bill finally looked at me and said,"I guess there's no stopping it, right?" I said, "Yeah... funny how I just wanted to get on with this deployment... and now I just want time to stand still." I just wanted him here, to stay... with us.

This morning, we left the house, dropped his truck off at the base (a friend is taking care of it for us) and headed to the airport. We all jumped out of the van, as Bill hauled his bags of gear onto the curb. We chatted, hugged, took some pictures and then got the kids all back into the van. Everything went great - no tears at all! Then, Ivan jumped back out of the van and took a running leap at his dad. Bill picked him up for one last hug, and Ivan quickly jumped down. He grabbed Bill's hand, opened up his fingers and kissed his palm. Bill chuckled and asked,"Ivan, what are ya' doin?!" Ivan looked up and said, "The Kissing Hand, Daddy" ... and gave Bill and huge smile.
If you have not read that tender children's story, it is a good one. It's about a small raccoon, who is afraid to go off to school. His mother opens up his little hand and kisses his palm. She calls it the Kissing Hand, and tells him to put it up to his cheek so he will have her love with him wherever he goes.

Here's this big military dad, being encouraged by his son. We had not even read that book in quite some time, so we were both taken by surprise when Ivan thought to do that. Bill could barely speak. He followed Ivan to the van and kissed his hand too, and Grant's little hand, and reached over and gave Mary one more pat on the head. We parted with tears, but knowing that we will still be loving each other, no matter how far apart we may be.

Here's Ivan, giving Daddy his Kissing Hand. Please continue to pray for our family. I know that God has reasons for everything - even for the military families who are separated through deployments. I am grateful that this is four months, when it could have been longer. I am thankful to have a husband that loves us. I am thankful that I love my husband. I am thankful for the three little people in our house who call me "Mom" and that we can keep each other company and encourage each other while Bill is gone. And, I am thankful that I can pray to a living God who will keep him safe over there. I told a friend today that I'm not worried at all about Bill's safety - I'm worried about mine!
We called Bill tonight, because Ivan was really missing him. I think that is the hardest part for me - trying to figure out how to comfort our kids. We read The Kissing Hand before bedtime. The boys found the heart stickers at the back of the book and asked if they could each have one. I placed one in each of their palms... and one in mine.

8 comments:

Jenna said...

Kathy:

Your kids are SO blessed to have you for their mom. I'm wiping away tears after reading your post. You will be in my prayers.

- Jenna (Gilmer) Dunham

Anonymous said...

Hey Kathy,
The scene you just described had me in tears. I can so relate. Recently, Dave was TDY & Alaina was sobbing up in her bed one night. She was so full of grief. It dawned on me that when people are grieving (from a death) that talking about their good memories of the person can help. In Alaina's case, talking about her silly daddy helped her to calm down as well. You will be in my thoughts & prayers.

Love you.

P.S. The Puyallup Fair started this week! Thinking of you. . .

Jane Anne said...

Kathy- my eyes are full of tears. I have been bathing you in prayer this weekend. You are on my mind and my heart feels for you. I will continue to pray. (Your pictures, of course, brought back memories of Seth's deployment.) Thank you for sharing honestly from your heart. I was not that strong in the beginnig but sharing your feelings with your friends and family (or on your blog) is SO helpful! Not only does it help you (some kind of therapy, I guess) but it gives people a deeper sense of what you are experiencing.

Ok, I'll stop rambling. Just know someone in OR is praying for you!

Megan said...

I agree that The Kissing Hand is one of the best books. We found it last year for Kindergarten and it really is a boost of confidence. Keep your hand close to your face and it will be ok! We are thinking of you as always.

Melissa Guay said...

Oh my goodness, another one in tears here too! We are praying for Bill's safety as well as yours and the kids with all the crazy storms and evacuations. You know it's said God only gives us what we can handle....isn't it amazing that He sees so much more strength in us than we ourselves see?
Oh and the Kissing Hand is SUCH a sweet book - how sweet of Ivan to remember that for his Daddy. :)))

katieowens said...

Kathy,
You had me in tears too. We will be praying for all of you through this deploment and another evacuation. I can't believe it! Hang in there!

Organized Chaos said...

I'm all ready for church and checking blogs and now crying and trying to fix my make-up. So sorry that he not only had to go but in the midst of a crazy few weeks for you. You are totally in our prayers. Hang in there...call if you need to vent.

Rachel said...

I finally read this and like everyone else, I've got tears streaming down my face. The picture of him holding Grant in the dark is deeply moving. I think everyone can relate to what that moment would be like on some level. Its heart breaking, touching and yet still very hopeful at the same time. How does one get through any of this w/o faith??? I'll have to check out that sweet story too. The prayers continue... God bless your family's sacrifice and God bless America!