One month later... I'm finally getting pictures posted about our adventure - evacuating for Hurricane Gustav. And what an adventure it was... I am not originally from hurricane country. I grew up in Minnesota, where we had our fair share of fabulous storms and a few tornadoes here and there... but hurricanes? A whole different ballgame.Once a tropical storm brews up in the Atlantic, people begin to track it 'round these parts. Once it nears the Gulf of Mexico... concern sets in... which leads to panic (understandably, as they're still cleaning up from Katrina's wake down here). I was thankful that Bill had thought ahead - he went to the gas station early and filled up three gas cans. Once it was closer to the time of evacuation, some gas stations were completely out of gas and putting bags over the pumps.
I headed out to Walmart the day before we left, just to get a few more items. Walmart was almost completely out of bottled water, flashlights, and the battery supplies and camping equipment were low. That was when I felt the rising panic myself - I've never been shopping at Walmart when everyone is rushing about for the same things - it was insane. Little, by little, the businesses were boarding up and closing. They almost become like ghost towns, as everybody packs up what has value to them, and just leaves. Anyway... here are some of our photos to give you an idea of what went on during our time of dodging Hurricane Gustav's path.
We met up with 11 other vehicles at a gas station, just north of I-10 in Vancleave, MS, at 5:45 a.m. It was exciting for the kids, and a bit eerie to be driving through the dark, only to see the emerging lights from a gas station up ahead... and an enormous crowd of cars, trucks, vans, trailers, car-toppers and so many people. The bathroom lines were so long, that a lot of us ended up just walking down the road and taking advantage of nature! There were scattered caravan groups around, hovering over their atlases, trying to figure out the best ways out of town. The highways were being closed down to Mobile - they wanted all traffic to go North. Excitement was rising... and we finally hit the road. What usually was a 4 hour trip to Birmingham, took about 10 hours. We had 12 vehicles in our group... we ended up splitting up, which worked out better!
Here is Bill with our commander (who kindly saw us off!) and a few others, trying to figure out a good route... Thankfully, another pilot was allowed to go as well - so Bill wasn't the only guy along with all of these women and children.
We finally arrived at the hotel, completely exhausted. I think just about every mommy on this trip had an emotional breakdown at one time or another. The hotel itself was horrible. It was in a bad area to begin with, was dirty, with broken appliances, roaches and spiders. One gal even saw the housekeeper come in and wipe everything down with Windex, using the same rag, and smoking the entire time. After the first night, almost everyone found new hotels - but we had to separate, as everything was booked solid. This one was all we could find for everybody - hotels were booked from Atlanta Georgia to Memphis to Houston. NO ROOM IN THE INN. I'll bet Mary and Joseph were a little frustrated when that happened to them!!! I'm just glad I wasn't pregnant.So... we took her kids for a night! Ethan is close to Ivan's age and Rachel is Grant's age and with five kids, we had a very fun and eventful evening. We took everybody to Chuck E. Cheese and had our kids' first sleepover ever, which they thought was VERY fun. Here's the crazy bunch!
The next morning, we fed the troops breakfast in the hotel and headed to downtown Birmingham where the McWane Science Center was giving free tickets to evacuees. That was a huge blessing - to have this incredible children's museum with all of these kids - for free.
This was the extent of our damage - just some large branches down in the backyard. We were very thankful for that...
And the Beau Rivage... the surges are incredible - just the power that a storm could put out to push the water up onto the land like that amazes me. I have never witnessed anything like this before.
Home Sweet Home. We returned late on Wednesday... had two full days as a family to pack Bill for his deployment and he flew out that Saturday. It was busy, but all went smoothly and we were very thankful that Ike changed his course and we did not have to do this again.
2 comments:
I can't honestly say "sorry I missed it", but the museum looked fun! :) It looks like you had a lot of extra "fun" with Bill before he left!
Dang woman! How long did it take you to publish this post? It took me like 30 minutes to read it :-)
Great story, sounds like your one eyed friend would be blind without you.
Post a Comment