Monday, April 28, 2008

Do all frogs go to heaven?

We were so sad to find our first dead froggy this morning. We carried him outside on a spoon, dug a tiny hole, and each said a few words to say goodbye. Ivan said, "Thanks for being a good frog. You can go to heaven now... Mommy, I'm so sad." Grant said, "Me too... he was a cute little froggy. (pause) ... MOM! HE MOVED!!!" To his dismay... it wasn't true. Froggy was dead. So, we continued our burial, had a moment of silence, and thanked God for creating these cute little creatures and that we had the opportunity to watch them grow up. We have now decided to let each one go free as he reaches his mature stage of life.

We found a very large toad yesterday... Ivan is happy with the fact that they can now have a "mommy" when they are released to our yard. I love that. It has been really neat to see the wonder in their eyes as they watch the changes take place in our tadpoles. I love being able to show them the intricate detail of God's design and plan for even the smallest things on this earth. And it was even neat for me to see the compassion in their little hearts for these frogs. They, too, agree that it will now be better for the froggies to grow up on their own, rather than in our kitchen. Mommy is happy about that!

Later today, Grant walked outside, and knelt down by the frog grave again. He said, "Froggy, I am so sorry that you are dead." He sat there a moment and then looked at me with a big smile. "Mom? You know what's so great about this?... It's Heaven Time!" I love that my kids can see the hope of Christ through this first experience with death. I don't really know if there will be animals up there, but I'm confident that God can put hope in our hearts in all circumstances - even through losing a little frog.

2 comments:

Marian said...

I'm sure there are animals in heaven! I'm looking forward to playing with my Theo and Vincent someday--my two sweet bunnies.

Rachel said...

What a sweet story! Those are the details of your kid's life that you don't want to forget when they grow. The kind of stories that make this 'blog'habit we have even more meaningful...
LOVE your cute header by the way! Fun theme!