Saturday, April 12, 2008

First time at the roller rink!

Ivan and Grant were invited to a birthday party today - at our local rollerskating rink. I had not been to one of these in YEARS. The dark room with spinning disco lights brought back memories (even skating the "snowball" with a kid in my class who had sweaty hands). I think the only improvement in 20+ years is the skate color!
I had my ideas of how this event would go... and it played out very differently.

Our cautious, yet will try most anything, Grant - LOVED it. He was a crazy skater and tested my bicep strength, but figured out how to balance and skate in small steps (while holding on to me) pretty quickly! He was on the rink more than off for the entire party... but called it quits after falling and hitting his head. Ouch.
Our athletic, confident, I can do it all - Ivan... had a rough time getting his pride smashed... again, and again, and again. He spent more time on his rear end than on his feet. There were tears (esp. after a wall collision)... but, by the last 15 minutes of the party, it all clicked, and he was skating on his own. I even heard him ask another kid (older than him) if he'd like to race. Oh boy... We took a time away from the rink, to give Mommy's arms a break. Overall, what I hoped wouldn't turn out a confidence buster ended up a booster for both boys. I think we'll be frequenting the rink more often now. Next time... they can give Daddy's muscles a workout!
Great job, guys!

2 comments:

Organized Chaos said...

Check and see if your rink has any preschool skate times...ours does and its so nice to not have 11 year old out of control boys on the rink, just kids 7 and under and usually a lot of moms. They also play more little kid friendly music and do games like limbo and hokie pokie etc.

Rachel said...

Cheepskate has been one place I am looking forward to going to with the boys. Can you believe its still there? I wonder how its changed? Nice job!!